The Ultimate Multi-sensorial Pongal Activity for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Pongal is a harvest festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu while the rest of the country celebrates Makar Sankaranti or different variations of it.
Pongal is a four day festival. The third day of Pongal is Kaanum Pongal which is similar to Raksha Bandhan or Bhai Dooj where women pray for the well being of their brothers.
This particular activity is drawn from a ritual performed as a part of the Kaanum Pongal festivities in Tamil Nadu.
For this activity, you need:
Turmeric powder, Vermilion powder or Kumkum, Curd, three bowls, Cooked and cooled rice, a banana leaf or a turmeric leaf or a large plate.
- Divide the rice into three portions and separate them into three bowls. Add turmeric, vermilion, curd into each portion.
- Allow the toddler/preschooler to mix them up by hand. This is a rich sensory experience with different colours and textures. The result will be rice in three different colours (red, white, and yellow).
- Allow the toddler/preschooler to wash the banana/turmeric leaf/plate with water.
- Show them to how to scoop it into a ball using hand or by using a spoon.
- Allow the toddler/preschooler to sort them by colour.
- Add an additional lesson on sustainability, eco-friendliness, kindness to animals by leaving it out on the balcony or terrace to feed the birds.
- Observe sparrows, squirrels, crows gorging on the goodies.
Gross-motor skills, Fine motor skills, strengthening muscles of hand, colour discrimination, water-play, messy play, education about natural colours and materials, being eco-friendly, sustainable and kind to animals.