THUMB THUMB SERIES
DESCRIPTION: A unique series for beginner readers created around the commonplace thumbprint. These everyday stories about Thumb Thumb Thambi and Thumb Thumb Thangi are told using spoken vocabulary rather than a formal, graded one, encouraging children to read on their own.
AGE GUIDANCE: 4+
1. 9 To 1: A number book with a twist at the end. What are Thambi and 45 others waiting for?
2. FLOWER: Thambi finds a flower, he picks it up, smells it. Mmmmm! But there's someone sitting inside...oh!
3. HELLO: Hello says the sun to the bud. Hello says the rain, the bees, the butterflies, the birds, and Thambi. Hello the flower replies showing off its lovely petals.
4. WHERE IS THANGI? Where is Thangi? Thambi asks the blackbeetle, the butterfly... Nobody seems to know. And then suddenly she pipes up: Here I am!
5. SONG: One day, Thangi gets into the mood and begins to sing. Immediately the cats begin to mewl, the dogs howl and the donkeys bray. But when the peacocks join in, what does Thangi do?
6. UP UP: Thambi takes a piece of paper, tears it into a square, pastes two sticks on it, ties a string and then flies it high in the sky. It's a kite!
7. DARK: The lights go off and Thangi can't find Thambi. He's not in the cupboard, he's not behind the door, he's not under the bed. Where could he be?
8. TAIL: If Thambi had a tail, he would wag it to show he was happy, he would swish away flies, he would even swim. What else would he do?
9. SSHH: Shh, Thangi is sleeping. The caterpillar crawls, the cat yawns... then a plate clatters to the ground. Thangi wakes up. Oh no!
10. MIRROR: The faces in the mirror just won't go away. Not the frog, not the lion, not the monkey. They won't even get scared. Then Thangi has an idea.